From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:01:32
1 On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 12:20, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 October 2004 3:43 pm, marcos ferreyra wrote:
3 > > Examples of things that DON'T WORK out-of-the-box are
4 > > * wireless (in my experience, very hard to set up)
5 >
6 > (Never tried w/ Gentoo.)
7
8 I don't get this one. I guess I've just been lucky and have only bought
9 good wireless cards, but for me it only takes editing a couple lines in
10 /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and restarting pcmcia.
11
12 I also have been working on making net-setup on the LiveCD
13 wireless-capable, so expect to see that for the 2004.3 release. Also,
14 has anyone written up good documentation for setting up wireless for the
15 Handbook? That would probably be a good idea of something to do.
16
17 > > * software suspend
18 >
19 > There is no stable software suspend for Linux at all. Hardly something that
20 > Gentoo can fix without kernel hackers joining one of the projects.
21 >
22 > > * printers
23 >
24 > Can be fixed by emerging the drivers w/ cups automatically. Perhaps a
25 > USE=extra-drivers adding RDEPENDs
26
27 USE="ppds foomaticdb" doesn't cut it?
28