From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 09:25:40
1 On Friday 08 October 2004 17:42, Spider wrote:
2 >
3 > Thats like /tmp, sticky bit set, world writeable, (chmod 1777) where
4 > only the owner can remove the files. Decent solution, but doesn't
5 > really make sure that all the users have -read- access to all files.
6
7 Well, we now have ACL support. You can easilly do this with acl in a
8 straightforward way. We might want to make a manual describing how to do it.
9 Together with the mostly undocumented mount options needed to enable acl's on
10 the filesystem.
11
12 > Currently I'm using chmod 1777 /media/music, and run a script to
13 > regularly set the permissions below it as this:
14 > chgrp -R audio
15 > chmod g+rw (for files)
16 > chmod g+rxw (for directories)
17
18 Acl's can set default permissions so your script shouldn't be needed anymore
19 (but you might want to run it once in a while to ensure that).
22 > however, this isn't really "optimal", but it works, and allows all users
23 > to actually share the music. The whole idea is that the directory is
24 > common storage, the same goes for other media. Things that are private
25 > go into ~ anyhow.
26
27 ACL's are great.
30 > the main argument for it is that I/we can export /media/music over
31 > samba/nfs for other people, it separates user-data from "global commune"
32 > data (at least where I live its perfectly ok to share music like this.
33 > *waves to the RIAA* )
34
35 And you know what? Samba supports ACL's too.
36
37 Paul
40 Paul de Vrieze
41 Gentoo Developer