From: Fabio Erculiani <fabio.erculiani@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] kde-l10n split ebuilds proposal
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:13:05
1 Hi,
2 in Sabayon we are providing our users kde-l10n split ebuilds (as well
3 as openoffice-l10n ones) since a long time ago. The split has many
4 advantages and follows this rationale:
5
6 - Gentoo seems to follow the rule to not split packages over what
7 upstream does, the inverse condition (merge more packages into one)
8 should be respected too.
9 - Gentoo is about choice, providing this alternative way can be a plus
10 and introduce several advantages for users:
11 source world advantages:
12 - it makes possible to add/remove kde-l10n packages without having
13 to recompile all the localizations every time
14 - "backward compatibility" kept through kde-l10n-meta ebuild
15 - ebuild maintenance requirements don't grow with ebuilds' number
16 growth (5 lines bash script does enough magic on version bumps)
17 - scalable disk space requirements without the annoying recompilation phase
18 binary world advantages:
19 - ability to provide split packages makes possible to support all
20 the languages without forcing users to install a 500+ mb package
21 - reduced install time
22 - reduced disk space
23 - improved administration power and TCO (add/remove support for a
24 language becomes trivial)
25 - scalable disk space requirements
26
27 Invalid complaints ( :P ):
28 - improved maintenance costs: it's not true, scripting exists for a reason
29 - There are USE flags: use flags tuning is not possible in binary
30 worlds and always forces users to recompile (which is not always
31 possible)
32
33 Reference ebuilds:
34 - http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/overlay/kde-base
35 Quick and dirty update script example:
36 - http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/overlay/kde-base/do-kde-l10n.sh
37 Example of kde-l10n-meta ebuild:
38 - http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/overlay/kde-base/kde-l10n-meta/kde-l10n-meta-4.2.2.ebuild
39