From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:13:50
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 19:46 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Thus spake Adam Petaccia on Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:08:36PM CST > > "emerge --newuse world" is _very_ helpful here ;-) > > Hmmm. Very interesting! 'emerge --newuse -p world' gives me a long list of > packages, some of which aren't even installed, and which probably aren't > depended by anything else. This is odd.
That is rather strange. Are you sure they are not installed?
> This list also includes updates on a number of packages which are apparently > slipping through the cracks when I do a daily 'emerge -u world'. I've been > noticing this for some time now. Some packages apparently didn't get > registered with 'world' when they're built, and I come on them from time to > time by chance and notice the version differences between what's installed > and what's available.
Don't use "emerge -u world". A much better solution is to use "emerge -uD world" as it does deep checks on dependencies. Only packages that you specify with the "emerge" command ever get registered with world. Dependencies never do. Also, if you have *anything* showing up in your --newuse, then you've changed your USE flags quite a bit. I would suggest doing a "emerge -p depclean" and checking out what portage will want to remove, then do an "emerge depclean" followed by an "emerge -uD --newuse world" followed by an "emerge -uD world".
> 'emerge --newuse -u -p world' gives me a longer list, which is apparently a > superset of the above. I would expect the list to be shorter.
Correct. The -u option means to not only display the --newuse stuff, but *also* a list of upgrades. They are additive. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux