From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Desktop <gentoo-desktop@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 02:57:15
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 22-03-2011 01:29, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 00:37 -0100, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
6 >> PS - Lindsay, two last notes about your issue and your time constraints.
7 >> This type of issue might be easier to diagnose on IRC (one good place is
8 >> #gentoo in the freenode network) where a short intense session may prove
9 >> to be quicker in the end. Also, I haven't seen anyone mention that the
10 >> latest udev versions react *very* badly to CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2.
11 >
12 > Ah! Thanks for the heads-up on this. This switch is _not_ on in my
13 > newer kernel, and doesn't exist in my older kernel. CONFIG_SYSFS,
14 > however, _is_ on as I assume it should be for /sys on which udev
15 > depends.
16
17 That symbol shows up here in my 2.6.32-gentoo and 2.6.35-gentoo-r8
18 kernel trees. On a 2.6.37-gentoo kernel tree I see
19 CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED. Whatever your kernel version use, make sure you
20 disable it before booting into the kernel again.
21
22 > I don't know why udev hasn't been completely integrated into kernel
23 > development. It's become so much a part of modern Linux and is so
24 > interdependent with the kernel. Yes, it's in user space, but so are
25 > other kernel hooks.
26 >
27 >> So be sure to check if you disable that as iirc udev will refuse to
28 >> create the proper device nodes if that kernel option is active.
29 >
30 > Question: There are switch and value dependencies in the kernel that
31 > are Gentoo specific, or specific to system configurations favored by
32 > Gentoo (similar to what you mentioned above). If I emerge a Gentoo
33 > kernel, are the default configuration options for that kernel set by
34 > Gentoo devs so as to build a kernel which will avoid these kinds of
35 > "gotchas"? In other words, if I build a gentoo kernel out of the box,
36 > as opposed to a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, do I gain an advantage
37 > with regard to possibly problematic configuration options on a fairly
38 > standard Gentoo system? I hope this makes sense.
39
40 The vanilla-sources in Gentoo are the kernel.org tree, so they're the
41 same as getting a kernel version from the kernel site. The
42 gentoo-sources package include minimal gentoo patches for specific
43 features. You can read more about our patches at Mike's page[1].
44
45 [1] - http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/
46
47 If I understood your question correctly, you were asking about the
48 .config options set in the kernel packages, right? My experience is that
49 the options enabled by default are the ones the person releasing the
50 kernel tested or finds more useful.
51 I don't think we can / should claim that the options set are necessarily
52 the best or the most appropriate for Gentoo or even for a general Linux
53 kernel. I can say I've at times wondered why certain options were active
54 and others disabled. Oh and fwiw, I've done an update or two to the
55 kernel specs of the weekly live-cds for amd64 / x86.
56 In any case, as I don't work in the kernel team, I'm not the best
57 qualified person to answer the above question. You may have more luck on
58 #gentoo-kernel or asking the kernel alias.
59 In case I misunderstood your question, please let me know and try to
60 explain it to me so I can try to answer it.
61
62 - --
63 Regards,
64
65 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
66 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng