From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Screen-blanking on X startup
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:26:23
1 Lasse Riis wrote:
2 > When Xorg starts on my laptop (or actually Gentoo boots and xdm is
3 > started) the X startup procedure involves blanking, or actually powering
4 > off my display completely. This has always been "standard procedure" to
5 > me, and I've gotten used to it over the years.
6 >
7 > However, in my current setup it actually "blinks" or powers off twice.
8 > It might be the version of Xorg, or it might be this laptop. In any case
9 > I didn't notice it till now.
10 >
11 > I've Googled some to find out what's actually going on but to no avail.
12 > Some says it's probing for external monitors and thus turns off VGA
13 > which in turn causes my laptop display to power off(?).
14 >
15 > Is there a way to disable this? I don't need probing for external
16 > monitors on every X start. preferably I'd like to not have the monitor
17 > turn of at all. But I would at least like to prevent it from doing it
18 > twice.
19 >
20 > I'm on a Thinkpad x60s with this graphics controller:
21 >
22 > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
23 > 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
24 > 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
25 > 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
26
27 Hey Lasse, I see this on my laptop as well. It's not on right now so I
28 can't tell you the exact controller, but it's also Intel (but I think
29 maybe an 800 series?) I also remember the days before it blanked twice!
32 Randy Barlow
33 http://electronsweatshop.com
34 --
35 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list