From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] 8 days now!!
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:50:54
1 On Monday 05 February 2007 14:38:22 YoYo Siska wrote:
2 > A word of advice: if you are trying to reinstall an older system, don't
3 > copy over all the use flags at the beginning and then try to build the
4 > whole system at once. It creates a lot of problems (cyclic dependencies,
5 > compile problems). It used to work some time ago, but when I tried to
6 > reinstall my old computer from scratch for my parents a month ago, I
7 > just had to take it nice and slow.... (to gentoo-devs: sorry, I had no
8 > time to go through it and post bugs...)
9 >
10 > Instead emerge the basic system first with the standard use flags, then
11 > add new and recompile
12
13 I'm not really sure those are bugs anyway. Portage 2.1.1 (stable) doesn't
14 handle cyclic deps too well. Portage 2.1.2 (~arch) does, however, detect
15 cyclic deps. It still doesn't circumvent them but it does make it a lot
16 easier to find out how to work around it (usually by temporarily disabling a
17 use flag). Portage 2.1.2 will go stable soon..
20 Bo Andresen