From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Xorg-Toshiba Laptop
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:39:33
1 On Friday 08 October 2004 5:45 pm, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > Thus spake Luke-Jr on Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:10:32PM CDT
3 >
4 > > On Friday 08 October 2004 4:59 pm, Ettore Salvi wrote:
5 > > > Hi everybody:
6 > > > I'm installing Gentoo on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30 ).
7 > > > For XFree86Config
8 > >
9 > > Your first mistake is using XFree. Most of the Linux world (incl Gentoo)
10 > > are using X.org now.
11 >
12 > This is news to me, although I note, now that you mention it, that there's
13 > an xorg-x11 ebuild in Gentoo (blocked by XFree). When I installed Gentoo
14 > on my desktop box a year ago or so, I believe that Xfree was recommended.
15
16 I'm not sure X.org *existed* a year ago... it certainly wasn't as popular as
17 it is now.
20 > A few questions:
21 >
22 > What are the advantages of X.org over XFree?
23
24 Updates, transparency, Damage extention (fast VNC), newer video drivers,
25 etc...
26 Note that XFree will not be updated in Gentoo and may even be removed in the
27 future.
30 > If I have XFree successfully installed and running, are there any
31 > advantages to switching?
32
33 See above :)
36 > Do 3rd party vendors, notably VMWare which I think supplies an optimized
37 > XFree driver, support X.org?
38 No clue.
39 --
40 Luke-Jr