From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:39:52
On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 15:15 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote: > > The root of this problem is that on the old kernel, there are both > > a /dev/hda1 and a /dev/sda1. The former is a partition on an old PATA > > drive, while the latter is a proper component of md0, but when > > everything becomes /dev/sdNx, there's an obvious conflict and the RAID > > subsystem is getting confused and is obviously not seeing it's sda1. > > Possible alternative is to disable raid autodetection and define the > arrays by UUID in /etc/mdadm.conf so hopefully the device names become > irrelevant at that point.
This is a good idea. I can turn off RAID autodetection in the kernel config and spec RAID1 instead, since the root fs isn't on a RAID array. I've found a number of references to putting UUIDs in ARRAY lines in /etc/mdadm.conf to define the UUID of an array, but none yet to using UUID specs in DEVICE lines, all of which I've found so far in the online literature use /dev/xxxx specs. Before I take this step I'm going to find a more kernel-specific list and ask if this would be appropriate. I've tripped on RAID array errors before at the expense of days of work to reconstitute systems and their data. I want to make sure this is kosher before I go there. Thanks! -- Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com http://www.fmp.com | |