From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Drag and drop failure - solved!
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:27:17
1 On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 16:55 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > FWIW, I prefer newsgroups and thus use gmane.org to follow most of my
3 > mailing lists as newsgroups. Couple that with news profiles that pan
4 > (the main gtk app I still use) remembers per group, and I don't have to
5 > worry about using the wrong address. Of course, news has always been
6 > somewhat obscure, unlike mail, so it's not a solution for everyone, but
7 > it works for me. =8^)
8
9 Are you talking about Usenet newsgroups? Usenet is a service I expected
10 to die a natural death _years_ ago! Talk about an Internet service that
11 doesn't scale well ....! Used to be that every ISP that wanted to
12 provide Usenet to its customers had to have at least one mondo computer
13 with mondo hard drives, plus a mondo feed, so that they could keep a
14 _local_ copy of every newsgroup to which their customers wanted to
15 subscribe as it came down the pike. I understand that its gotten a bit
16 more centralized now.
17
18 My "wrong address" is a holdover from my use of Tagged Message Delivery
19 Agent on my mail server for my email. Special email addresses, e.g.
20 "fmouse-gentoo@×××.com", were exempted from TMDA processing. I don't
21 use TMDA anymore and really ought to change my subscriptions. I have a
22 lot of "ought to"s here and a severe shortage of round tuits :-)
23
24 > > I generally agree with you these days about Gnome vs. KDE. It used to
25 > > be that Gnome had an edge on really creative and abundant software
26 > > design, which is why I settled on it, but with the switch to GTK2 a lot
27 > > of really nice features in a lot of apps got dropped and other stuff
28 > > just got abandoned.
29 >
30 > That was always my feeling too. GNOME 1 had some promise, just as KDE 2
31 > did, but GNOME 2 went one way and KDE 3 went another... and I preferred
32 > KDE. KDE 4 has yet to prove itself either way. At minimum, they botched
33 > the rollout there. While I'll often run bleeding edge betas, 4.0 was
34 > early alpha, there were simply too many missing features to be usable
35 > here. 4.1 is supposed to be much better. I'll see, when it comes out.
36 > I still believe they'll get there, but given 4.0, I'm not at all sure
37 > about 4.1. It may well be 4.2 or even 4.3 before it's actually worth
38
39 I see that Gentoo is stable at KDE 3.5.9, which I have as an alternative
40 from my gdm login (and which my desktop just spent many hours
41 re-emerging). I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the encouragement.
42
43 I do note that KDE ebuilds seldom if ever crap during a build, which is
44 not always true with gnome ebuilds.
45
46 Question: Can I run Evolution on KDE? the gnome people kind of adopted
47 Evolution, like they absorbed Eautilus, from Ximian. I have a lot of
48 time and work involved in setting up my mail and contact data which I
49 doubt would translate to Kontact/KMail without additional substantial
50 work. Does Kontact support address collections on an LDAP server?
53 Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between | PGP public key
54 FMP Computer Services | a duck is that one leg | available at
55 512-259-1190 | is both the same" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
56 http://www.fmp.com | - Anonymous |
59 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list