From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:53:43
1 On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 16:44, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to
3 > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good to
4 > go.
5
6 for i in `ls games-*`; do emerge $i; done
7
8 Those work out of the box, with exactly two exceptions that I can
9 recall, which are ut2003 and ut2004, both of which require the user to
10 ebuild /path/to/ebuild config them to enter their CD key.
11
12 > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What
13 > already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as being
14 > forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
15
16 Well, to be honest, quite a lot in the desktop arena seems to "just
17 work" when merged. I've never had a problem with X (XFree86 or X.Org)
18 not working after being installed. Gnome has never failed me.
19
20 In fact, I find my biggest problem with anything that would fall under
21 the "desktop" TLP is finding them. For example, I just found
22 gnome-btdownload the other day and for a package that I never knew
23 existed before then, it is now an essential part of my Gentoo
24 experience.
25
26 > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
27 > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
28
29 I haven't found much of anything hard to configure, other than working
30 32-bit OpenGL emulation on amd64.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
35 Games - Developer
36 Gentoo Linux
40 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list