From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:53:43
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 16:44, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good to > go.
for i in `ls games-*`; do emerge $i; done Those work out of the box, with exactly two exceptions that I can recall, which are ut2003 and ut2004, both of which require the user to ebuild /path/to/ebuild config them to enter their CD key.
> Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What > already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as being > forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
Well, to be honest, quite a lot in the desktop arena seems to "just work" when merged. I've never had a problem with X (XFree86 or X.Org) not working after being installed. Gnome has never failed me. In fact, I find my biggest problem with anything that would fall under the "desktop" TLP is finding them. For example, I just found gnome-btdownload the other day and for a package that I never knew existed before then, it is now an essential part of my Gentoo experience.