From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: OpenGL Issue -- "failed to create drawable" (pyglet, python)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:03:28
Duncan posted on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 03:34:38 +0000 as excerpted:

> I'll do a followup with the netbook's glxinfo if I remember, but the > above should give you some pointers to investigate, meanwhile.
OK, on the netbook... lspc reports Intel 945GME The xorg log (Xorg.0.log) first reports "Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810", THEN reports the Intel driver detecting chipset 945GME (as lspci listed), BUT THEN the Intel driver DRI2 driver is reported as the i915. Talking about the xorg log... check it too. If you're running hardware OpenGL, it'll report something like this (FWIW, xorg-server 1.10.1): LoadModule: "dri" Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation" compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.0.0 ABI class: X.org Server Extension, version 5.0 Loading extension XFree86-DRI LoadModule: "dri2" Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation" compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 1.2.0 ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0 Loading extension DRI2 Then later... drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0 ... followed by open result 8, (OK), another open, drmOpenMinor, busID, etc. Then later intel(0): [DRI2] Setup complete intel(0): [DRI2] DRI driver: i915 later... intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 Enabled later... GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0 If instead it's saying DRI disabled, or doesn't mention it, you're software-fallback rendered, for sure, as it's straight from the log. FWIW, here's those lines as mentioned up-thread from the netbooks glxinfo: OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 Kernel config: Here I do a custom config, building everything I need directly into the kernel, so I can disable module loading. It's easier that way as I don't have to ensure that the modules subdirs stay in sync with the kernel. For graphics, you'll want and/or I have: DRM/DRI (CONFIG_DRM) Intel 8xx/9xx/63x/64x/HD Graphics (CONFIG_DRM_I915) I have modesetting on by default (CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS) Support for frame buffer devices (CONFIG_FB) Inside that option: Enable Video Mode Handling Helpers (CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS) (may not be necessary but can help with EDID detection and doesn't hurt) Enable Tile Blitting Support (CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING) **DO**NOT** enable the Intel framebuffer device options here as they interfere with KMS. Back out under graphics again, go into Console display driver support: Framebuffer Console support (CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE) You want that for KMS. It's recommended to enable VGA text console (CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE) as well, for a fallback in case the kms drivers fail for some reason, or if you wish to use UMS. (In the removable graphics card case, VGA text console is also a backup in case you switch to a different card, but as Intel graphics are normally integrated, it's not like that's a real option. But it's still worthwhile in case there's a problem with the KMS framebuffer or for trying UMS.) Back out at the main graphics menu again, I have VGA Arbitration off as it's only useful with multiple graphics cards, lowlevel video output switch controls is on to support the key that controls that on my netbook, and backlight and LCD device support is enabled, with both lowlevel LCD and backlight controls enabled inside, but no specific drivers, as that's what my hardware takes. More interesting is the /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) option, with the Intel chipset option checked inside it. My system's PCIE, so I'm not sure that's actually necessary, but it's enabled and X including OpenGL works. Maybe I'll experiment with it at some point, but that point isn't now. And if you do still have AGP, and the BIOS has the fastwrite option, make sure it's off. While it works on some systems, it's unsupported and the xorg folks consider it unsupportable, because it's so crazy-buggy on so many systems. Similarly, any fast-write options you might have in your xorg.conf. Ensure they're off. FWIW, on the netbook the only bit of xorg.conf config I have here is the synaptics touchpad config file located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ . The rest of the X config is entirely internal xorg defaults and auto- detection. (The main system is a bit more complex as it has dual monitors, and an xorg config that sets orientation, etc. But it too is way smaller than it used to be.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman