From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Music Software
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 04:20:19
1 Sean wrote:
2 > Does anyone know of any packages in portage that a kid can work with
3 > to teach and perhaps let them play with making their own music?
4 >
5 > Thanks
6 > Sean
7 What age group are we talking about? What kind of music? Conventional?
8 MIDI? Weird electronic?
9
10 I don't think there's anything in Portage as user-friendly as, say,
11 Garage Band.
12
13 In any event, there's quite a bit of music software in Portage, but a
14 lot of it is quite detailed, special purpose, and has a pretty steep
15 learning curve. There are probably some simple things in the educational
16 piece of KDE, but I think for someone young, you'd be better off with a
17 commercial package on Windows or Macintosh than subjecting them to open
18 source hackery. Unless, of course, that's exactly the kind of musician
19 they want to be. :)
20
21 And it's exactly the kind of musician I am. :)
24 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
25 http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
26
27 If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given rabbits fire.
30 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list