From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:53:31
Thus spake Paul de Vrieze on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:33:48PM CDT
> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 17:55, Lindsay Haisley wrote: > > <soapbox> > > To say the least, Eric is no wilting violet when it comes to Linux > > software, but he pointed to something that's should be of concern to all of > > us. The open source equivalent of proprietary software's "tech support" > > that doesn't support is the FOSS project dev group that doesn't understand > > the needs of the non-dev community. Look at the docs on such an otherwise > > very useful project and you'll find a changelog, an API description, a FAQ > > with questions the average user would _never_ think to ask, prolly a > > prominent discussion of the license. I've run into plenty of projects > > which describe themselves in terms such as "project x is an upgrade to > > project y, and incorporates the evorgutated framus object framework from > > project z". Duh? </soapbox> > > Reminds me of the openldap project. There is no documentation whatsoever on > how to actually operate the darn thing beyond the very basics. (Well some > independent, incomplete, howto's you find after some looking around)
Gentoo had an openldap setup HOWTO a while back, and I really wanted to make it work, and dug into the HOWTO. Unfortunately, the HOWTO was pretty loose around the edges and at least partially as a result of a bug report I filed, it got pulled from the website. -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys> http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list