From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:53:31
1 Thus spake Paul de Vrieze on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:33:48PM CDT
2 > On Wednesday 06 October 2004 17:55, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > > <soapbox>
4 > > To say the least, Eric is no wilting violet when it comes to Linux
5 > > software, but he pointed to something that's should be of concern to all of
6 > > us. The open source equivalent of proprietary software's "tech support"
7 > > that doesn't support is the FOSS project dev group that doesn't understand
8 > > the needs of the non-dev community. Look at the docs on such an otherwise
9 > > very useful project and you'll find a changelog, an API description, a FAQ
10 > > with questions the average user would _never_ think to ask, prolly a
11 > > prominent discussion of the license. I've run into plenty of projects
12 > > which describe themselves in terms such as "project x is an upgrade to
13 > > project y, and incorporates the evorgutated framus object framework from
14 > > project z". Duh? </soapbox>
15 >
16 > Reminds me of the openldap project. There is no documentation whatsoever on
17 > how to actually operate the darn thing beyond the very basics. (Well some
18 > independent, incomplete, howto's you find after some looking around)
19
20 Gentoo had an openldap setup HOWTO a while back, and I really wanted to make
21 it work, and dug into the HOWTO. Unfortunately, the HOWTO was pretty loose
22 around the edges and at least partially as a result of a bug report I filed,
23 it got pulled from the website.
26 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
27 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
28 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
29 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
32 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list