From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: phonon
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:33:03
Dominique Michel posted on Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:56:21 +0100 as excerpted:

> I try smplayer. It lack several functions of kaffeine like the channel > search and the EPG. I used dvbscan from linuxtv-dvb-apps for searching > the channels, and now the dvb-s part of my card work with smplayer.
You're way beyond my level there. Hopefully smplayer does work for you after workarounds, etc, but I'm afraid I won't be of much more help, there. Did you have time to try the other phonon backends, phonon-vlc or phonon- gstreamer, and that didn't work, or are you trying smplayer first and will only fall back to kaffeine and the phonon thing if that can't be made to work? Also, it's not of much help now, but given how advanced smplayer already is, the author is obviously targeting the user wanting more than just the typical media control buttons. As such, I'd /guess/ he'd be quite willing to work to integrate additional functionality you may need, if you simply ask, and especially if you can well explain it for implementation and are willing to bug-squash with the first implementations. It may well be that smplayer could have all the functionality you need integrated, in a couple versions, if you just ask and are willing to test for him. =:^) But I'm just guessing. I've not contacted him myself and couldn't presume to speak for him or obligate him. Still, the chances are far higher there, than they would be with, say, dragonplayer, kde's default- as-shipped media-player-for-dummies. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman