From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: System problems
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:51:33
1 On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 09:32 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Gentoo, OTOH, is a /rolling/ /update/ distribution. They actually find it
3 > necessary to warn people not to (routinely) sync more than once a day, and
4 > updating daily to perhaps at the outside monthly, really is how it works
5 > best. I believe you've seen this "sermon" before so I'll keep it short,
6 > but honestly, I'm not just saying this, if you're not going to go rolling
7 > update with it, and rolling update is NOT for everybody, you really
8 > /should/ reevaluate whether Gentoo is the really the best matching choice
9 > for your needs. An "impedance mismatch" of that magnitude may be possible
10 > to work around, but just because it's possible doesn't mean it's the most
11 > efficient choice available, for sure.
12
13 Duncan, thank you. I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages
14 of Gentoo's "rolling update" distribution design, and really appreciate
15 the advantages. My problem isn't knowledge, of which I have enough, but
16 time. Maintaining a Gentoo system is a relatively time consuming
17 activity, and I'm spread extremely thin these days. This problem box
18 has been running Gentoo since 2004, but my work and priorities on my
19 time have changed over the years and it's probably time to move on.
20 Gentoo has gotten a lot more complex since then - arguably better, but
21 certainly more time-consuming to maintain.
22
23 In the meantime, I need to address the kernel | fstab | udev issue here.
24 Insights and suggestions to address _this_ problem would be most
25 helpful. Lectures on the age of my system, my qualifications as an
26 admin for my own desktop, or my continued us of Gentoo as a desktop
27 distribution are not helpful.
30 Lindsay Haisley |"Windows .....
31 FMP Computer Services | life's too short!"
32 512-259-1190 |
33 http://www.fmp.com | - Brad Johnston