From: Jakob Kummerow <jakob.kummerow@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] New install - basic question
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:55:48
2011/2/5 Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>:
> Hi I am currently using amd64 2 core processor but now have the chance to use > an intel quad 64 processor. > This might be a silly question but is it best to do a compltly new install?
Generally that shouldn't be necessary. Intel's and AMD's x86_64 technologies, also known as amd64 because AMD designed them, are compatible. Before plugging your hard disk into your new mainboard, though, you should make sure that your kernel supports enough of that board's integrated devices to be able to boot. IOW, you will most probably need to change your kernel config and compile a new kernel. Or you could just try it and hope for the best -- but have some bootable CD or thumbdrive ready so that you can boot from that and chroot into your installation if necessary.
> Which chost and cflags should I use?
The same as you should have right now: CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe" Cheers, Jakob