From: Tim Weber <gentoo.list@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:21:15
1 On Tuesday 05 October 2004 22:44, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > What already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as
3 > being forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
4
5 Definitely phpMyAdmin; you have to run one additional command, but in return
6 all that PMA stuff etc. is set up.
7
8 > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
9 > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
10
11 The next thing after setting up phpMyAdmin for me was Best Pracitcal's
12 "Request Tracker". You can forget "emerge rt", since it won't work with
13 Apache 2.x (see #54764), so I had to do everything by hand (setting up
14 FastCGI and getting those damn deep Perl module dependencies resolved). At
15 one point I stopped using "emerge perlmodulename" and started using cpan,
16 because too many packages were masked (I admit, this was on hppa).
17
18 And the next thing most desktop users would be very excited about is MythTV,
19 but I guess that's upstream again. Setting up this beast is a real turn-off.
20
21 Tim.
24 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list