From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] OpenLDAP docs (was: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:41:27
1 On Thursday 07 October 2004 12:51, Tim Weber wrote:
2 > I don't know why documentation stuff gets removed from the website
3 > anyway. Even if the docs are bad, it's better than to have none at all.
4 > That's why I'd propose an official documentation wiki, but that's
5 > another thread. Concerning the LDAP HOWTO and docs, the problem I had
6 > with all of them was that there were no docs around which told me for
7 > example how to organize my tree, or which are the most commonly used
8 > objectClasses. You know, all guides explain to you how to set up the
9 > software, all tell you that there is a tree and stuff, but none tells
10 > you how you should use it.
11
12 Which was exactly the issue I was pointing at. Setting up openldap is not
13 hard. Actually using it usefully is. How do I put my address book in
14 ldap? How do I use ldap for authentication. How do I use ldap for
15 centralised administration.
16
17 Paul
20 Paul de Vrieze