From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] OpenLDAP docs (was: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:41:27
On Thursday 07 October 2004 12:51, Tim Weber wrote:
> I don't know why documentation stuff gets removed from the website > anyway. Even if the docs are bad, it's better than to have none at all. > That's why I'd propose an official documentation wiki, but that's > another thread. Concerning the LDAP HOWTO and docs, the problem I had > with all of them was that there were no docs around which told me for > example how to organize my tree, or which are the most commonly used > objectClasses. You know, all guides explain to you how to set up the > software, all tell you that there is a tree and stuff, but none tells > you how you should use it.
Which was exactly the issue I was pointing at. Setting up openldap is not hard. Actually using it usefully is. How do I put my address book in ldap? How do I use ldap for authentication. How do I use ldap for centralised administration. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net