From: Levon Ghazaryan <levon@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] startx / X -config /root/xorg.conf.new crash on T410 intel Arrandale (custom kernel)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:28:15
1 Hi all,
2
3 on 2.6.34-r1, ThinkPad T410 with Intel Arrandale with a custom kernel
4 the laptop freezes on startx or X -retro -config /root/xorg.conf.new (with
5 a fresh created xorg.conf.new with Xorg -config).
6
7 as this happens I'm not able to switch the tty, the laptop doesn't respond
8 to ping and caps lock is constantly blinking.
9
10 there is no error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and Xorg -config exits without
11 complaining about anything.
12
13 I followed the guide at:
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml#using_startx
15
16 so I completed all steps mentioned there.
17
18 at this point I have no idea how to debug, get information what is
19 going an, or what causes the problem - there are no error messages
20 and no log left. the only thing I see is a black screen, a blinking cursor
21 at the top left corner for a moment and a completely black screen after wards
22 and laptop the responds to nothing as a result. the only way that i could
23 get out of this was to hard-reboot using the power button.
24
25 please post here if you have any ideas what this could be or
26 how can it be figured out what causes the crash.
27
28 at some point i tried:
29 emerge -e xorg-server
30
31 but this changed nothing and startx crashes again in the same way.
32
33 thanks in advance,
34 ~levon