From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Kernel_2.6/devfsd/SCSI/USB/Digital Camera problem
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:23:14
I'm going to post this question here, and it may be OT.  If so, please tell
me where to put it.  Perhaps something such as devfsd, hotplug-base or some
other component needs to be rebuilt against the 2.6 kernel source, or
perhaps this problem needs to be in bugs.gentoo.org.  Perhaps one of you
kind and helpful gentoo devs who haunt this list can point me in the right
direction.

I have a digital camera which connects to my Linux desktop system via a USB
port.  Under kernel 2.4.20-r9, when the camera is connected, devfsd creates
/dev/scsi/host4 (there is already a valid host1, host2 and host3).
/dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 is the CF card in the camera, and
can be read as a FAT filesystem drive.  When the camera is turned off and
disconnected, the file heirarchy under /scsi/host4 remains there, except for
part1, the actual CF card.  I can manage the mounting and unmounting of this
partition with devfs.conf and friends.  If the camera is re-connected,
/dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 comes back into being, no problem.
This is as it should be.

With kernel 2.6.8-r10 the situation is fubar.  Each time the camera is
turned off and on, another file heirarchy is created under /dev/scsi for the
camera, and the previous /scsi/host* trees created when the camera was
connected previously remain, but contain no devices.  I've had this process
all the way up to /scsi/host15 by turning the camera off and on a dozen
times or so.

Needless to say, this plays hell with trying to script anything to mount the
camera and CF card in /etc/devfsd.conf or /etc/devfs.d/*.

Should I file this as a bug, or are there things I should try to rebuild or
reconfigure before declaring it Gentoo's problem and not mine?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at