From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Kernel_2.6/devfsd/SCSI/USB/Digital Camera problem
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:23:14
1 I'm going to post this question here, and it may be OT. If so, please tell
2 me where to put it. Perhaps something such as devfsd, hotplug-base or some
3 other component needs to be rebuilt against the 2.6 kernel source, or
4 perhaps this problem needs to be in bugs.gentoo.org. Perhaps one of you
5 kind and helpful gentoo devs who haunt this list can point me in the right
6 direction.
7
8 I have a digital camera which connects to my Linux desktop system via a USB
9 port. Under kernel 2.4.20-r9, when the camera is connected, devfsd creates
10 /dev/scsi/host4 (there is already a valid host1, host2 and host3).
11 /dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 is the CF card in the camera, and
12 can be read as a FAT filesystem drive. When the camera is turned off and
13 disconnected, the file heirarchy under /scsi/host4 remains there, except for
14 part1, the actual CF card. I can manage the mounting and unmounting of this
15 partition with devfs.conf and friends. If the camera is re-connected,
16 /dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 comes back into being, no problem.
17 This is as it should be.
18
19 With kernel 2.6.8-r10 the situation is fubar. Each time the camera is
20 turned off and on, another file heirarchy is created under /dev/scsi for the
21 camera, and the previous /scsi/host* trees created when the camera was
22 connected previously remain, but contain no devices. I've had this process
23 all the way up to /scsi/host15 by turning the camera off and on a dozen
24 times or so.
25
26 Needless to say, this plays hell with trying to script anything to mount the
27 camera and CF card in /etc/devfsd.conf or /etc/devfs.d/*.
28
29 Should I file this as a bug, or are there things I should try to rebuild or
30 reconfigure before declaring it Gentoo's problem and not mine?
33 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
34 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
35 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
36 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
39 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list