From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:03:09
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
> Am 21.03.2012 21:48, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés: >> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote: >>> >>> I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the >>> screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow >>> integrated chatting. >>> >>> But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop. >>> >>> I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account >>> within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it. >>> >>> Feels stupid ;-) >>> >>> Could someone get me started on this? >>> I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ... >>> >>> Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and >>> upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before. >>> >>> Thanks for any pointers, Stefan >> >> Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top >> right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to >> System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and >> select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account, >> select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add", >> and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your >> Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will >> notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click >> "grant access", and then select which Google services you want to >> handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with >> your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available". >> >> Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should >> appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account. > > So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in? > That was one of my main questions.
I'm not sure. I think even if you don't open Empathy, it will connect you, and then you will receive messages through the notification system.
> I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check > out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?)
Mmmh. Google Chat is not like IRChat. It's more like messenger; you have your contacts, and you can chat with them and them with you.
> Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for it. However, Google Chat allows voice-talk, and it works really well. The video conference support is more immature, but I hope it will work eventually.
> Thanks, Stefan
Regards. -- Canek Peláez Valdés Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México