From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Drag and drop failure - solved!
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:58:07
1 Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> posted
2 1214007177.17338.20.camel@×××××××××.localdomain, excerpted below, on Fri,
3 20 Jun 2008 19:12:57 -0500:
4
5 > Evolution [is] an odd piece. The feature design is absolutely
6 > brilliant, but somewhere along the way the programming got short
7 > shrift. [I]f you do anything in the least insulting
8 > to it, it goes away. [...] Evolution is typical Gnome stuff.
9 > Absolutely brilliant in theory and design but buggy as all getout.
10
11 LOL! That's about the reputation I've seen of it. Still, having never
12 tried it, I didn't feel it my place to say so. Glad even its perhaps
13 best users have a healthy appreciation for its reputation and faults. To
14 bad it has to be so finicky, however, as there's a lot of folks that
15 depend on it and could really use better stability.
16
17 > I checked out KMail. Yes, it runs LDAP, but only to transfer name and
18 > phone number info into its internal database - not address and details -
19 > and it doesn't display LDAP data on a par with its internal db as
20 > Evolution does.
21
22 FWIW, nearly all the KDE guys' focus has been on KDE 4, for two years
23 now. The KDE 3 side of things has been maintained, but not a lot more.
24 With KDE 4.1 completing the kdepim transition to KDE 4 (it wasn't all
25 there for 4.0), 4.2 should bring some new features again, including the
26 first major new kontact features in awhile. You're right to be checking
27 the 3.5.9 version at the moment, but it really hasn't had a whole lot
28 done to it for awhile due to the above. So if it's not meeting your
29 needs now and it doesn't appear it can, I'd certainly recommend checking
30 it out again around 4.2 or 4.3. Once they get up to speed on KDE 4, the
31 better modularization, integrated search features, etc, should really
32 start to add up to something that can move pretty fast, very possibly
33 ultimately surpassing Evolution. Even basically matching it while
34 keeping stability will be a big deal, as you noted. However, it's not
35 there yet.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list