From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:11:59
1 On Tuesday 06 February 2007 07:26:20 Mikko Husari wrote:
2
3 > i was wonderin (also tried my luck on perfomance-gentoo,
4 > but no one home), what kind of partition + fs table would
5 > be optimal on server and/or desktop. afaik, /usr/portage
6 > would be on its own partition, and perhaps reiserfs and raid0.
7 > distfiles should be on a different partition, so it would
8 > not be in the way of portage itself... but, what about other
9 > parts of gentoo/linux. and is journaling filesystem over
10 > striping raid just asking for trouble?
11
12 I can't get any more disks into this box, so I have the somewhat unusual
13 arrangement of the two IDE disks that came with it (one of them encumbered
14 with Windows), plus two SATA disks. I have most of my Linux stuff on the
15 SATAs. I use mdraid to construct /dev/mdX from /dev/sd[ab]X and allocate
16 them thus:
17
18 /dev/hda1 50M /root
19 /dev/md0 20G /
20 /dev/md1 16G /home
21 /dev/md2 32G /home/<user>/common
22 /dev/md3 6G /usr/local
23 /dev/md4 40G /srv
24 /dev/md5 30G /usr-bits.
25
26 Each of the four disks has a 2GB swap partition (see below re /tmp).
27
28 The common disk is for things I want whichever system I boot. /srv is for
29 vmware-server images and anything else I want to serve. /usr-bits contains
30 portage.
31
32 I keep a separate portage tree because this box seems to need reinstalling
33 from time to time, and not having to fetch the stuff every time is useful.
34 My gateway box also runs Gentoo, but of course it doesn't have anywhere
35 near the number of packages in its distfiles that I need for the desktop
36 box.
37
38 Following Duncan's idea, I put /tmp on tmpfs, i.e. in memory. I have it set
39 to a size larger than physical RAM and let the kernel swap things when it
40 needs to - rarely, that is. Only when I'm compiling a humungous package
41 like Open Office. The speed-up is dramatic.
44 Rgds
45 Peter
46 --
47 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list