From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:47:49
1 Donnie Berkholz posted
2 <1097093890.2701.7.camel@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.edu>, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:18:10 -0700:
4
5 > Yeah, XKB is really obscure and mostly poorly documented anywhere one
6 > goes. We should check into that.
7
8 Just adding my two cents..
9
10 Yes. I've generally been able to accomplish what I need to do by spending
11 a couple hours reading docs, then searching thru the actual files with the
12 "general idea" given me by those hours on the docs, until I find something
13 that looks reasonably like it should affect what I want to affect. I then
14 tweak it, and start or restart X, to see whether it did what I wanted.
15 Lather, rinse, repeat, until I see the desired results. <g>
16
17 Every time I do that, I think there /has/ to be a better way. What's the
18 most frustrating is that I get bits and pieces of it, but the overall
19 picture of how all those bits and pieces fit together always seems /just/
20 out of my grasp. Thus, the intelligently guessed trial and error method,
21 aka lather, rinse, repeat.
22
23 I expect this would be a /perfect/ place for Gentoo documentation!
24 Further, from what always seemed to be /just/ out of reach each time I
25 needed to work with it, I'm quite sure once I saw a reasonable
26 explanation, I'd "know" it from then on, or at least would only need to go
27 back and skip things to pick it up again. I'd /love/ to see a Gentoo Doc
28 on this, because I know how clear and lucid they tend to be, and expect
29 that'd pretty much be the end of my problems in the area! Any future
30 issues would be a direct config hack away, as simple and intuitive as
31 immediately heading for /etc/package.mask has become, when confronted with
32 a new package that doesn't want to cooperate with me. Again, the fact
33 that it's so in /that/ case only emphasizes the degree to which Gentoo
34 documentation has done its job and the principles so integrated into my
35 behavior patterns as to seem instinctive. That's a GOOD thing! I'd
36 /love/ for it to be that simple next time I found a need to tweak the
37 X keyboard layout! (Well, the time after that, since I'd find and read
38 the new doc the first time, and it'd just seem "natural" the second... or
39 third.)
40
41 ... FWIW, while I've never run into i18n/l10n keyboard issues here, I
42 /do/ run one of those "internet" keyboard thingys, and like to take
43 advantage of the extra keys, which quickly become KDE hotkeys, launching
44 various menus. That's all fine and good. The /problem/ is when the name
45 for my internet keyboard changes, or the keysyms change, and a good
46 portion of my shortcuts no longer work! The last issue was a bad keysym
47 for the XFree86-Standby key, in xorg 6.7, fixed in the later 6.7.99 betas
48 and in 6.8.0. Changing the mapping solved it, but I /think/ I should have
49 been able to do it with a simple entry in xorg.conf or something, rather
50 than having to edit the installed xorg keyboard config files directly. I
51 just couldn't figure out /how/, from the documentation, so ended up using
52 what /should/ have been the "hard" method.
56 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
57 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
58 Benjamin Franklin
63 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list