From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:08:07
1 Thus spake Chris Gianelloni on Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 05:52:48PM CST
2 > Actually, it should be in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc, and it
3 > affects 4 packages, which I tend to think is enough to warrant it being
4 > added as a global USE flag.
5 >
6 > > If I add 'hal' to my USE list, how much of gnome am I going to have to
7 > > rebuild to get this working?
8 >
9 > 3 or 4 packages.
10
11 OK, I'm not up on /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc but soon will be.
12 Looks like I can figure out which packages to rebuild from this file.
13
14 > > If gnome now depends on hal and dbus for detections, perhaps the relevant
15 > > gnome ebuilds should contain dependencies to these. I know nothing about
16 > > these packages, but that's nothing new. Gnome, Gentoo and other systems
17 > > move so fast that every couple of weeks I have to go back to school ;-)
18 >
19 > Well, they aren't "required" for Gnome to work, which is probably why
20 > they are enabled by USE flags. Again, I'm not a Gnome developer, so I
21 > am sure someone from the Gnome team would be able to tell you more
22 > accurately.
23
24 Gentoo could use an "advisory dependency" system much like Debian has
25 ("package X suggests package Y").
28 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
29 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
30 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
31 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
32 | (Pamela Jones) |
35 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list