From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:34:22
On Saturday 09 October 2004 15:15, Spider wrote:
> Okay, I'm short of temper today, so I'll try to not come across as > wanting to tear you apart. *grins*
Ok, I'll not react to flames (much).
> > Have I ever even refuted ACL's? I didn't bring them up since they > aren't documented as a possibility. Neither are group rights, Merlin, > or any of the other rights based permission-sets avaiable for unix. I > didn't bring up clustered stores either, even if those can, > technically, be used.
No you didn't. Actually ACL's are quite new and indeed very poorly documented. They are however a good, clean solution to these issues and I suggest that we consider them as a solution for this (with documentation). ACL's are basically available for allmost all users as the latest 2.4 series also support them on at least ext{2,3}fs, reiserfs and xfs.
> > Neither did I bring up things like R/W VFAT mounts, which would -also- > solve the problem of having a shared space for files... Simply by not > having rights management :-)
R/W vfat mounts have serious disadvantages and are a crude tool.
> The question I posed, along with a somewhat make-shift solution, was > that we ought to have such a thing documented as avaiable. (yes, that > means supported ;)
I agree.
> I've seen solutions based on WebDAV + mdns to discover it, by indexing > the local Music dir in users homedirs shared with apache to the other > users (rendezvous / zeroconf style) But, this again, isn't something > we support, nor would I really advocate it, as it isn't optimal in any > sense.
Acl support is bugfree, supported by modern kernels and most relevant filesystems and comes at very little cost (mostly diskspace). It offers a great flexibility over the standard posix rights and can be made to work on solving these issues. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net