From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:34:22
1 On Saturday 09 October 2004 15:15, Spider wrote:
2 > Okay, I'm short of temper today, so I'll try to not come across as
3 > wanting to tear you apart. *grins*
4
5 Ok, I'll not react to flames (much).
6 >
7 > Have I ever even refuted ACL's? I didn't bring them up since they
8 > aren't documented as a possibility. Neither are group rights, Merlin,
9 > or any of the other rights based permission-sets avaiable for unix. I
10 > didn't bring up clustered stores either, even if those can,
11 > technically, be used.
12
13 No you didn't. Actually ACL's are quite new and indeed very poorly documented.
14 They are however a good, clean solution to these issues and I suggest that we
15 consider them as a solution for this (with documentation). ACL's are
16 basically available for allmost all users as the latest 2.4 series also
17 support them on at least ext{2,3}fs, reiserfs and xfs.
20 > Neither did I bring up things like R/W VFAT mounts, which would -also-
21 > solve the problem of having a shared space for files... Simply by not
22 > having rights management :-)
23
24 R/W vfat mounts have serious disadvantages and are a crude tool.
25
26 > The question I posed, along with a somewhat make-shift solution, was
27 > that we ought to have such a thing documented as avaiable. (yes, that
28 > means supported ;)
29
30 I agree.
31
32 > I've seen solutions based on WebDAV + mdns to discover it, by indexing
33 > the local Music dir in users homedirs shared with apache to the other
34 > users (rendezvous / zeroconf style) But, this again, isn't something
35 > we support, nor would I really advocate it, as it isn't optimal in any
36 > sense.
37
38 Acl support is bugfree, supported by modern kernels and most relevant
39 filesystems and comes at very little cost (mostly diskspace). It offers a
40 great flexibility over the standard posix rights and can be made to work on
41 solving these issues.
42
43 Paul
46 Paul de Vrieze