From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: Interest inquery: kde4-nosemantic overlay
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:28:09
1 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Also schrieb Fabiano Engler:
3 > > Oh man, knowing the next release will force enable semantic desktop is bad
4 > > news, I would surely drop KDE desktop when that became stable and I am
5 > > forced to update.
6 >
7 > One of the pertinent facts about the Gentoo mailing lists is that regularly
8 > molehills are percieved and described as mountains.
9
10 Far more pertinent for a user, is that your concerns will regularly be disparaged
11 by "developers" who don't really see their mission as enabling users to get the
12 job done.
13
14 Consequently you may expect sneering or sardonic replies to valid issues that you
15 raise, even when you're not arguing with their decision, but simply providing
16 workarounds to enable people to use their machines how they see fit.
17
18 When pushed beyond condescension, the usual response is whining about "use-cases"
19 and questioning of your motives and method, since you can "just" turn it off, or
20 some other guff that ignores your valid reasons for wanting another option, and
21 consequently does not help you to get the job done.
22
23 Still, you likely have more experience than the person patronising you, and are
24 grown-up enough to shrug it off and get on with the task at hand.
25
26 That doesn't mean you have to like it, and no-one external will expect you to:
27 just the usual clique that will round on you for daring to step into the snakepit
28 and speak your mind.
29
30 Ignore them, and do not respond for a couple of days, and never in kind, as blame
31 will only ever attach to you, irrespective of how rude they might be.
32
33 > [Yes you may quote that for LWN distro quote of the week. If you must.]
34
35 If only it were worth quoting.
38 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)