From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:37:44
1 Thus spake Jason Wong on Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:30:37PM CDT
2 > On Thursday 07 October 2004 06:17, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 >
4 > > When I do a batch-emerge, such as 'emerge uU world', a lot of important
5 > > informaton on various packages scrolls up the screen. Some of this stuff
6 > > is must-read info, or stuff that would save a lot of time and research if I
7 > > could read it. In Debian, with the ncurses debconf UI, I can swipe the
8 > > important info screens and paste them into a file for review later. They
9 > > all have <OK> buttons so they stay until you dismiss them. In Gentoo
10 >
11 > Having dabbled with Debian briefly recently, I was quite impressed with the
12 > fact that an email is sent to the admin/root user which summarises the
13 > "important info" that is displayed after a package is installed.
14
15 Hmmm. This is a new one on me :-) I track Debian testing on a couple of
16 boxes and haven't seen this yet. This is very much the way it ought to be
17 done.
18
19 There have been patches for portage going back close to 2 years, that
20 supposedly work well and save output einfo, ewarn and friends to special
21 logs if the proper magic is done in make.conf, but for some reason they've
22 never made it into production Gentoo, and there's no indication if and when
23 they will. I hacked functions.sh and emerge to output this information to
24 file descriptor 3 and this works OK for me for the time being, but I'll have
25 to patch these files again when the hacked files get upgraded. It's about
26 the same, I guess, since the patches published on bugs.gentoo.org have to be
27 reapplied to each upgrade also.
30 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
31 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
32 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
33 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
36 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list