From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:02:43
1 On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:
2 > And it bails if _any_ ebuild fails, so I
3 > have to go to the office, figure out the problem, and restart the
4 > process.
5
6 With a new-enough portage you can use the --keep-going switch to cause
7 it to emerge everything it possibly can emerge which is not dependent
8 on the failed package.
9
10 If your system is new enough to support bootable CD/DVD/USB, I'd try
11 to find a linux live CD which runs the same kernel version that you're
12 hoping to switch to, and (assuming it works) look at its kernel
13 config, dmesg, lspci -k, that sort of thing, and try to use it as a
14 hint for configuring your own kernel on your hardware. You can chroot
15 into gentoo from the liveCD and do all the kernel compilation stuff
16 from there so it might be relatively painless.