From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE Overlay and failed downloads
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 04:44:03
1 Duncan posted on Sat, 19 Nov 2011 04:08:27 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Graham Murray posted on Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:57:43 +0000 as excerpted:
4 >
5 >> It seems that almost every time a new KDE version is keyworded ~arch in
6 >> the KDE overlay[1] that none (or at most 1 or 2) of the tarballs can be
7 >> fetched. The tarballs must exist otherwise the maintainers would not be
8 >> able to generate the manifests.
9 >>
10 >> [1] Today it is version 4.7.80
11 >
12 > If you look at the kde upstream schedules...
13
14 > 4.8: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.8_Release_Schedule
15 >
16 > ... You'll see this:
17
18 > Wednesday, November 23, 2011: KDE SC 4.8 Beta 1 Release
19 >
20 > The beta becomes available for general consumption.
21
22 > About a week before a kde version is announced to the public and
23 > tarballs made available for public download, it's tagged and preliminary
24 > tarballs made available to the distros for testing and creating their
25 > own builds. In this way, on the day of the announcement, they can
26 > already link to packages available from cooperating distros
27
28 > What all that means in practice is that 4.8-beta1 (aka 4.7.80) hasn't
29 > yet been publicly released. It's only available to the distro kde
30 > maintainers. Wait until the 23rd or so (sometimes it's a day late, so
31 > try the 24th, or even the 25th), then try updating.
32
33 And... it's out!
34
35 http://dot2.kde.org/2011/11/24/kde-makes-48-beta1-available-testing
36
37 If you read the comments, the first one references kde bug #287472, but
38 doesn't list what it's all about. Kde bugzilla seems to not be working
39 ATM (server error), but I was able to use some google foo and found it
40 listed on the kde distro-bugs list. Seems that bug relates to nepomuk
41 issues with 4.8b1 but apparently affects akonadi and thus kmail as well.
42 But if the nepomuk database is deleted and nepomuk allowed to regenerate
43 it, the bug filer says it's the first nepomuk and akonadi so far to run
44 without memory leaks on his system.
45
46 But after getting fed-up with akonadi and the semantic-desktop in
47 general, I switched to claws mail, exterminated with prejudice any
48 remnants of kdepim and akonadi on my system, and am now USE=-semantic-
49 desktop, so that one won't affect me. Yay! =:^)
50
51 > Meanwhile, the gentoo/kde folks have been TRYING to keep those pre-
52 > releases hard-masked until public release, and they've had a chance to
53 > verify that their manifests still match those of the public release.
54 > However, that's a work in progress, and sometimes they forget, or they
55 > mask most of it but miss a package or two, which then try to pull in the
56 > rest of the update when they try to upgrade, causing problems because
57 > most of that version is still hard-masked.
58
59 In this regard, the mask-file was apparently added just a few hours after
60 the initial ebuilds commit, according to the git whatchanged log for the
61 overlay. But you apparently had the bad luck to sync the overlay in the
62 intervening hours. Of course that was days ago, now, so even if you
63 didn't fix it manually, it should have been fixed automatically with the
64 next sync after the mask file was committed.
65
66 > Just don't forget to delete that mask-file after the public release,
67 > assuming of course that you want to update to it as soon as you can.
68 > =:^)
69
70 That still applies, thus this post as an update/reminder. =:^)
73 As for me, I'm thinking hard whether I want to try the beta. I really
74 wish gentoo/kde would have a 4.7.9999 or 4.8.49.9999 series, which would
75 be HEAD of the upstream 4.8 branch, which would get fixes to beta-1 as
76 they came in, but I just synced (including layman) and I don't see that
77 as an option. There's -9999 versions for at least some things, but not
78 for kdelibs, unfortunately.
79
80 Plus, I'd have thought -9999 is what will be 4.9, now, with 4.8 branched
81 off at feature freeze. But that schedule seems to suggest otherwise at
82 least for the betas. Both beta freezes are trunk, not branch. But rc1
83 says branch freeze, so it would seem that's when 4.8 is branched from
84 trunk.
85
86 So it seems -9999 is what will be 4.8 up until Dec 19 or so (rc-1 tagging
87 freeze, apparently they branch with rc-1 tagging, Dec 20). But there's
88 no -9999 kdelibs, and without that, the rest is a bit pointless.
89
90 Maybe I can make a kdelibs-9999 manually... or maybe I'll skip the hassle
91 and just do the beta, or maybe I'll skip it entirely for now... and
92 perhaps go with 4.7.49.9999, sticking with 4.7 branch. I gotta decide
93 which.
98 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman