From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: KDE Overlay and failed downloads
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 04:44:03
Duncan posted on Sat, 19 Nov 2011 04:08:27 +0000 as excerpted:

And... it's out! http://dot2.kde.org/2011/11/24/kde-makes-48-beta1-available-testing If you read the comments, the first one references kde bug #287472, but doesn't list what it's all about. Kde bugzilla seems to not be working ATM (server error), but I was able to use some google foo and found it listed on the kde distro-bugs list. Seems that bug relates to nepomuk issues with 4.8b1 but apparently affects akonadi and thus kmail as well. But if the nepomuk database is deleted and nepomuk allowed to regenerate it, the bug filer says it's the first nepomuk and akonadi so far to run without memory leaks on his system. But after getting fed-up with akonadi and the semantic-desktop in general, I switched to claws mail, exterminated with prejudice any remnants of kdepim and akonadi on my system, and am now USE=-semantic- desktop, so that one won't affect me. Yay! =:^)
> Meanwhile, the gentoo/kde folks have been TRYING to keep those pre- > releases hard-masked until public release, and they've had a chance to > verify that their manifests still match those of the public release. > However, that's a work in progress, and sometimes they forget, or they > mask most of it but miss a package or two, which then try to pull in the > rest of the update when they try to upgrade, causing problems because > most of that version is still hard-masked.
In this regard, the mask-file was apparently added just a few hours after the initial ebuilds commit, according to the git whatchanged log for the overlay. But you apparently had the bad luck to sync the overlay in the intervening hours. Of course that was days ago, now, so even if you didn't fix it manually, it should have been fixed automatically with the next sync after the mask file was committed.
> Just don't forget to delete that mask-file after the public release, > assuming of course that you want to update to it as soon as you can. > =:^)
That still applies, thus this post as an update/reminder. =:^) As for me, I'm thinking hard whether I want to try the beta. I really wish gentoo/kde would have a 4.7.9999 or 4.8.49.9999 series, which would be HEAD of the upstream 4.8 branch, which would get fixes to beta-1 as they came in, but I just synced (including layman) and I don't see that as an option. There's -9999 versions for at least some things, but not for kdelibs, unfortunately. Plus, I'd have thought -9999 is what will be 4.9, now, with 4.8 branched off at feature freeze. But that schedule seems to suggest otherwise at least for the betas. Both beta freezes are trunk, not branch. But rc1 says branch freeze, so it would seem that's when 4.8 is branched from trunk. So it seems -9999 is what will be 4.8 up until Dec 19 or so (rc-1 tagging freeze, apparently they branch with rc-1 tagging, Dec 20). But there's no -9999 kdelibs, and without that, the rest is a bit pointless. Maybe I can make a kdelibs-9999 manually... or maybe I'll skip the hassle and just do the beta, or maybe I'll skip it entirely for now... and perhaps go with 4.7.49.9999, sticking with 4.7 branch. I gotta decide which. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman