From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] soundcard, can't record
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:58:07
On Wednesday 13 October 2004 19:46, Mark Knecht wrote:

> There have been reports of some sound cards using the wrong alsa mixer > elements. I'd suggest trying each and every control in alsamixer to see > if one of them controls your micropone record volume. Note that mine has > a mic volume and a mic boost, whatever that is. None of this is > documented anywhere. It's just hunt, peck, and hope you find the answer > before oyu are old and grey like me...
The mic boost does exactly that, it kicks up the volume of the microphone. This is needed with some microphones. Note that your card probably has an input mixer and (multiple) input sources. You need to unmute them, give them volume and select the right input source. Use a program that displays the current volume and play around with alsamixer. Especially the vague options can help. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net