From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:57:11
On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 13:17 -0700, Edward Martinez wrote:
> Cool, :-) are you aware that the nvidia kernel module needs to be > reinstall every time a new linux kernel or current kernel is compiled? > > code: Important: Every time you compile a new kernel or recompile > the current one, you will need to reinstall the nVidia kernel modules. > An easy way to keep track of modules installed by ebuilds (such as > nvidia-drivers) is to install sys-kernel/module-rebuild. Once you've > installed it, simply run module-rebuild populate to populate its > database with a list of packages to be rebuilt. Once you've finished > compiling or recompiling a kernel, just run module-rebuild rebuild to > rebuild the drivers for your new kernel./code
Thanks, Edward. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt (several times :-). The legacy nVidia stuff is a hassle, and I'm looking forward to dumping it on the new desktop I'm building. -- Lindsay Haisley | SUPPORT NETWORK NEUTRALITY FMP Computer Services | -------------------------- 512-259-1190 | Boycott Yahoo, RoadRunner, AOL http://www.fmp.com | and Verison