From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:57:11
1 On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 13:17 -0700, Edward Martinez wrote:
2 > Cool, :-) are you aware that the nvidia kernel module needs to be
3 > reinstall every time a new linux kernel or current kernel is compiled?
4 >
5 > code: Important: Every time you compile a new kernel or recompile
6 > the current one, you will need to reinstall the nVidia kernel modules.
7 > An easy way to keep track of modules installed by ebuilds (such as
8 > nvidia-drivers) is to install sys-kernel/module-rebuild. Once you've
9 > installed it, simply run module-rebuild populate to populate its
10 > database with a list of packages to be rebuilt. Once you've finished
11 > compiling or recompiling a kernel, just run module-rebuild rebuild to
12 > rebuild the drivers for your new kernel./code
13
14 Thanks, Edward. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt (several
15 times :-). The legacy nVidia stuff is a hassle, and I'm looking forward
16 to dumping it on the new desktop I'm building.
19 Lindsay Haisley | SUPPORT NETWORK NEUTRALITY
20 FMP Computer Services | --------------------------
21 512-259-1190 | Boycott Yahoo, RoadRunner, AOL
22 http://www.fmp.com | and Verison