From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: Nvidia video problems
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:59:57
1 Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> posted 200607210817.30392.uwix@××××.na, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:17:30 +0100:
3
4 > On 21 July 2006 04:26, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
5 >> Duncan wrote:
6 >> > I don't see it as... annoying; I see it as... challenging! =8^)
7 >> >
8 >> > Seriously, computing is my hobby, and as such, it needs to remain a bit
9 >> > challenging from time to time, or it would cease to be of interest.
10 >>
11 >> Just out of curiosity, are there three "versions" -- stable, testing and
12 >> unstable -- or just two -- stable and unstable?
13 >
14 > Three.
15 >
16 >> And if one uses "~x86",
17 >> is that "testing" or "unstable"? I just think of it as "~x86".
18 >
19 > That's testing.
20
21 Depends how you look at it. There's officially two levels, stable aka
22 arch(-stable) and ~arch, called variously unstable or testing, which
23 correspond to Debian levels, I tend to use ~arch, as that has a precise
24 Gentoo meaning.
25
26 By the Gentoo definition, with certain exceptions, only candidates for
27 arch-stable can go in ~arch. ~arch means the package upstream is stable,
28 but the Gentoo packaging, that is, the ebuild script and any necessary
29 Gentoo specific patches may not be stable. If it's not considered a
30 stable release upstream, it's generally not a candidate for ~arch, tho it
31 may be in the tree as -* or unkeyworded, for those who want to play around
32 with it without the usual Gentoo safety net even of ~arch.
33
34 The biggest exceptions to the above policy are Gentoo core packages such as
35 portage and baselayout where Gentoo /is/ "upstream. Both these packages
36 routinely have -pre and -rc builds in ~arch that are never intended to
37 reach arch-stable.
38
39 The third level, as already mentioned, is hard-masked. If one chooses to
40 play with their package.unmask and package.keywords such that they can
41 merge these, it's without the usual Gentoo safety net. Sometimes, as with
42 the gcc-4.0 and early 4.1 packages, even unmasking isn't enough, one has
43 to set something like I_WANT_A_BROKEN_SYSTEM=1 to get them to merge. Even
44 there, however, Gentoo makes things easier to manage due to gcc-config
45 (now eselect compiler) and a slotted gcc, so it wasn't too hard to run a
46 default gcc-4.0 compiled system and eselect compiler set <3.4> for
47 packages that weren't yet fixed for gcc4.
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
57 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list