From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Knotify4 does not detect inserted CD/DVD and/or USB-Disks
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:33:42
1 Dan Johansson posted on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:56:33 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Saturday 16 April 2011 14.39:23 Yohan Pereira wrote:
4 >> On Saturday 16 Apr 2011 06:06:18 PM Dan Johansson wrote:
5 >> > Any suggestions on how to bring knotify4 to recognize an inserted
6 >> > CD/DVD/USB- Disk (without HAL).
7 >>
8 >> have you enabled the udev use flag? for eg. on kdelibs et al.
9 >
10 > Yes, udev is enabled (and I have recompiled kdelibs, solid and knotify a
11 > few times today while experimenting).
12
13 You don't mention what kde version.
14
15 kde 4.6.0 was the first to switch away from hal. If you're running
16 previous to that, you need hal for detection.
17
18 I don't know why (perhaps an issue with policykit or dbus interfering, or
19 because I don't have device-mapper on in the kernel even tho udisks
20 depends on lvm for device-mapper and asks for the kernel option as well?),
21 but with 4.6.0, detection, at least for cd/dvd, didn't work here either.
22
23 But, 4.6.1 suddenly started worked with cd/dvd at least (I've not changed
24 kernel options, so I guess device-mapper isn't needed afterall, for that).
25
26 Now 4.6.2 doesn't appear to be working, again, but I last updated a few
27 days ago so maybe they've patched it to work again by now?
28
29 I've not tried USB mass storage, so I don't know if that's working or not.
30
31 But, I don't really care about auto-mounting here anyway, so it's not a
32 big deal for me either way. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it
33 doesn't. I actually thought my config was screwed up for it, so I was
34 surprised when it started working in 4.6.1.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman