From: Tiago Marques <tiagomnm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Cc: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: kde-4.6 stabilization (was: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: more kde-sunset upgrade notes)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:02:21
1 On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>wrote:
4 > Hi Duncan,
5 >
6 > > According to a recent post on the dev list, the gentoo/kde project had
7 > > intended to try to stabilize kde 4.6.2, thus eliminating the hal
8 > > dependency for stable kde4, clearing the way for its removal from
9 > portage.
10 >
11 > ... and that's still the plan. Ever heard of the famous "30days"? :)
12 >
13 > > Meanwhile, 4.6.2 has actually been released. Of course this is now
14 > beyond
15 > > that post, so it's my evaluation from here. If 4.6.1 was a bit of a
16 > > regression, as from that post it evidently was, for me it was fine. NOT
17 > > SO 4.6.2! It has a couple nasty regressions that affect me personally,
18 > > with others affecting other folks, some of which are posting to the kde
19 > > user lists I follow -- WAY more than they did for the 4.6.1 upgrade.
20 > > Based both on posts to the kde lists and my own experience, 4.6.2 is
21 > > anything BUT a stable candidate!
22 >
23 > There were some initial problems with 4.6.2 but slowly it is shaping up
24 > now.
25 > Please file bugs (if there are not already) for your "nasty regressions"...
26 >
27 > The list of known issues [*] that is linked from my blog post also contains
28 > stuff that alone would not prevent stabilization (only regressions compared
30 > 4.4 are even considered as stable blockers).
31 >
32 > However, you are correct with one thing. Upstream is making a big mess, and
33 > I'm already looking forward to curious new bug reports for 4.6.3...
34 >
35 > As for kde-3, I fear it is going to turn into a maintenance and security
36 > nightmare...
39 Ping me if you need anything KDE3 related, I'll try to do my best to get
40 kde-sunset up to par. I'm closely watching this mailing list for that fact.
41
42 Best regards,
43 Tiago
46 > Cheers,
47 > Andreas
50 > [*] https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?field0-0-0=blocked&resolution=---
51 > &query_format=advanced&type0-0-0=anywords&value0-0-0=354033&list_id=87497
52 >
53 > --
54 >
55 > Andreas K. Huettel