From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome woes!
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:22:56
1 Well, here we go again!
2
3 After a _massive_ update of software on my desktop system I'm now running gnome
4 2.14. Gnome is my dm of preference, and I've spent a great deal of time
5 configuring a lot of panels to make everything work the way I want it to, with
6 custom icons and shortcuts to frequently used applications, some of them with
7 pretty complex invocations.
8
9 Now, after the upgrade, I log in and get an error box titled "Error" (no app
10 spec'd) with the note "I've detected a panel aready running, and will now
11 exit." I kill this and about 9 others follow which must be dismissed in turn,
12 doubtless one for each of the close to a dozen panels I previously had on my
13 desktop.
14
15 Never do see a panel, and when I'm done dismissing these error boxes, there are
16 none to be seen. There is no way visible to add a panel, or to recover my old
17 ones, or even to exit Gnome gracefully. Ctl-Alt-Backspace is what I have to
18 use.
19
20 It's enough to make a fellow go out and buy a Mac! Or maybe switch to Ubuntu.
21
22 Does anyone know how I can recover from this? Or will I just need to move my
23 ~/.gnome to ~/.gnome-old, dig through it for the old command invocations, and
24 let Gnome rebuild everything for me from scratch. If so, it'll be the 3rd or
25 4th time I've had to do this. Every time it takes a couple of days out of my
26 work schedule.
27
28 I really love Linux. One of these years, before I go to the Great Bit Bucket
29 in the Sky, I hope that it's ready for desktop use :-)
32 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
33 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
34 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
35 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
36 | (Pamela Jones) |
37 --