From: Christian Hoffmann <hoffie@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Final removal of php-4*
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 15:35:37
1 Heya,
2
3 it's August 8th, which is the date of official discontinuation of any
4 work on php-4 (even security-related) on upstream-side [1] [2].
5 On gentoo, =dev-lang/php-4* has already been masked for security reasons
6 since Oct 19th 2007, along with everything which depends on it. Removal
7 from our tree was initially announced for Jan 1st 2008, but we decided
8 to postpone it until today to give users even more time to migrate.
9
10 That means, I'm going to remove all php-4-related things today:
11 * dev-php4/ (will be done by infra)
12 * dev-lang/php/php-4*
13
14 Basically: Everything explicitly listed in package.mask because of php-4.
15
16 Also, several adjustments to ebuilds, which are still referring to
17 dev-php4/* names (e.g. because of blocks or "|| ( a b )" deps), will be
18 made by me today.
19
20 If you (or your company) have still not upgraded (you probably should
21 not run such a setup anyway, at least if it's publicly accessible), you
22 might be interested in the yet to be created php4 overlay [3], which
23 will be accessible using layman once it is available.
24
25 As always, feel free to contact the php team by mail [4] or IRC
26 (Freenode / #gentoo-php).
27
28 [1] http://www.php.net/archive/2007.php
29 [2] http://www.php.net/archive/2008.php#id2008-08-07-1