From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] PORTAGE_GPG_KEY strictness
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:05:25
1 Hi all,
2
3 One of the items that has come up in the Git conversion, and needs some
4 attention.
5
6 Previously, the PORTAGE_GPG_KEY variable has allowed ANY argument, and
7 passed it to GPG, letting GPG use that. This was intended to explicitly
8 be a unique identifier for a key (or subkey).
9
10 However, it seems that there are signed commits with other values in the
11 variable, and instead of something nice like:
12 (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha138/cvs/Linux x86_64, signed Manifest commit
13 with key 0x586A3B1F)
14 We have commits with:
15 (Portage version: 2.2.0_alpha138/cvs/Linux x86_64, signed Manifest commit
16 with key emailaddress)
17
18 This makes validation harder, as we need to extract the identity of the
19 key from the Manifest before we can proceed. Additionally, if a
20 developer has multiple keys, possibly over time, we cannot use this
21 string to identify what key was used easily.
22
23 As such, we've decided to make the PORTAGE_GPG_KEY strictly enforce what
24 was originally intended.
25
26 - You must specify a key or subkey exactly.
27 - The leading "0x" is optional.
28 - If you want to use a subkey, per the PGP specifications, you must
29 suffix your keyid with "!".
30 - Your keyid is exactly: 8, 16, 24, 32 xor 40 hexdigits long.
31
32 Additionally, while we are NOT enforcing the use of long key-ids
33 presently, I strongly encourage ALL developers to move to using them,
34 due to known attacks against short ids:
35 http://www.asheesh.org/note/debian/short-key-ids-are-bad-news.html
36 Long key-ids are the 16/24/32 hexdigit long versions of your key ids.
37 Using your full fingerprint (40 hexdigit) is also possible, but doesn't
38 allow you to select a subkey (subkeys don't have a full fingerprint).
39 Additionally, we'll be chasing up LDAP to convert all entries there to
40 long key-ids.
41
42 Examples:
43 ---------
44 Recommended:
45 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0123456789ABCEF'
46 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0123456789ABCEF!'
47 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0x0123456789ABCEF'
48 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0x0123456789ABCEF!'
49
50 Valid, but not recommended:
51 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='01234567'
52 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='ABCDEF01!'
53 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0x01234567'
54 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0xABCDEF01!'
55 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='0123456789ABCEF0123456789ABCEF0123456789'
56
57 Invalid:
58 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='username'
59 PORTAGE_GPG_KEY='username@××××××.com'
62 Robin Hugh Johnson
63 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
64 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
65 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85