From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev-announce] Removing USE={python,perl} from profile defaults (bug 250179)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:58:02
1 Hi all -
2
3 Just wanted to send a heads up that I'll be removing USE=python and
4 USE=perl from the profiles such that they will NOT be enabled by
5 default. There are justifications in the bug report if you care to
6 read. There have been appropriate tests done and stage building will
7 work fine. I'll write a little blog post that will goto
8 planet.gentoo.org so that users have some idea of why portage may warn
9 about needed package.use settings, etc. There is little
10 impact/inconvenience on users since the tree has appropriate USE deps
11 for most packages, packages without use deps are not well used (imo)
12 and will get flushed out with this change.
13
14 I'll be doing this early next week, so let's say in 3-5 days. I check
15 gentoo-dev archives but don't subscribe, instead you should file
16 blockers against bug 250179 if there is something that you feel is an
17 issue at hand.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Jeremy