From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devleopment sources are no longer 'development' - example
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:46:48
1 On Wednesday 25 August 2004 22:00, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > say:
3 > > Most distributions and ports systems tend to have a "freetype" package
4 > > for freetype 1.x and "freetype2" for 2.x. We consider this approach a
5 > > sign of a fundamentally broken package management system.
6 >
7 > Do we really want to admit that our package manager is broken?
8
9 That "admission" was allready made when development-sources was first
10 incarnated. Also the kernel is something different than freetype. The issue
11 is not with the package management system. The problem is in a big part
12 caused by the fact that people do not like to say 'emerge
13 \<vanilla-sources-2.5' to get the stable kernel. The kernel is a beast on
14 it's own and giving it some extra attention should not be a problem.
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze
20 Gentoo Developer