From: Bernard Karmilowicz <karmilow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] CD suggestion
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 13:56:30
1 Dear Gentoo Developers:
2
3 Thank you for creating a fine Linux distribution, and for considering
4 offering CDs other than boot CDs.
5
6 For users with slow connections (and/or multiple Linux boxes) who are
7 interested in transitioning to the Gentoo distribution, getting up and
8 running "live" by using a Gentoo rsync mirror is not a workable option.
9 A solution for these users (myself included) would be in the form of a
10 Gentoo Linux CD (or CD set) - which would include a Stage 1 boot image,
11 a snapshot of the Portage tree associated with the boot image, and all
12 source files associated with the Portage tree snapshot.
13
14 For example, a CD could contain:
15
16 /gentoo/releases/build/1.2/stage1-ix86-1.2.tbz2 08-May-2002
17 /gentoo/snapshots/portage-20020511.tar.bz2 12-May-2002
18 /gentoo/gentoo-sources/* 12-May-2002
19
20 which includes all the files needed to install Gentoo Linux from a CD
21 _at_any_time_, as if the installation occurred on 12-May-2002 using a
22 Gentoo rsync mirror. Following the CD installation, users could use the
23 mirrors to maintain their distribution, thereby reducing demand on the
24 mirrors.
25
26 Given the fine distribution you have developed, it is certain demand for
27 the Gentoo rsync mirrors will grow exponentially. I see from the Gentoo
28 News web page the demand has already caused a problem.
29
30 I hope to see the two companies currently offering Gentoo boot CDs
31 (CheapBytes and Edmund's Enterprises) partnering with Gentoo to produce
32 a CD (or CD set) such as described above. I am looking forward to
33 installing Gentoo Linux on several systems, and contributing to your
34 efforts.
35
36 Sincerely,
37