From: Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Willing to help...
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:38:19
1 Sorry I misunderstood the motivation. I can definitely see your point
2 about maintenance headache.
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: Matthew Walker [mailto:mwalker@×××××××.net]
6 Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 12:22 PM
7 To: gentoo-dev@g.o
8 Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Willing to help...
11 Riyad Kalla said:
12 > If this helps at all, I've been using MySQL 4 (4.0.12) for about 3
13 > weeks now on 2 production servers without any hickup or error. I've
14 > always been so impressed with MySQL's stability that I trust when the
15 > company claims something is stable, its probably pretty stable :)
16
17 I'm also sure it's stable, but I'm not willing to run masked packages on
18 our main production server. Running masked packages (without unmasking
19 everything) creates a maintenance headache. I'm trying to help get MySQL
20 unmasked, so that people like me can use it without maintenance
21 problems.
22
23 As I understand it, the holdup is actually a feature in portage to
24 automate the rebuilding if packages that link against MySQL, like PHP.
27 > We also saw a large speed increase when using MySQL 4 which was
28 > another compelling reason to use it instead of 3.
29
30 Tell me about it. We get almost 1,800 queries a second, and the query
31 cache is a /HUGE/ benefit for us.
34 > Best,
35 > -Riyad
36 >
37 > -----Original Message-----
38 > From: Matthew Walker [mailto:mwalker@×××××××.net]
39 > Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:48 AM
40 > To: gentoo-dev@g.o
41 > Subject: [gentoo-dev] Willing to help...
44 > I'd really really like to get MySQL4 unmasked, and am willing to go
45 > well out of my way to help the process along. Does anyone involved
46 > with the work on MySQL or the reverse-dependencies for portage have
47 > anything I can do to help?
48 >
49 > Matthew Walker
50 >