From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-lang/python: ChangeLog python-2.6.ebuild python-2.5.2-r6.ebuild
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:41:33
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-lang/python: ChangeLog python-2.6.ebuild python-2.5.2-r6.ebuild by Arun Raghavan
1 Arun Raghavan wrote:
2 > I've not really got an opinion on the topic, per se, but fwiw, this is
3 > really not a meaningful statistic. *If* parsing strings in the ebuild is
4 > not a trivial part of the overall ebuild parsing process, then yes, this
5 > is a significant gain and should be treated as such. I find it unlikely
6 > that this would be the case.
7 >
8 Sure, it's nothing that major, it's just one example of a free performance
9 increase. (Although I would point out that "parsing strings" is basically
10 what shells do.) Sure, that's nothing in the context of the actual install,
11 but there were a few comments in the huge GLEP-55 thread about performance
12 during cache generation.
13
14 > I'm not sure how one can go about measuring the impact of this on ebuild
15 > parsing as a whole. Maybe make take a few "typical" ebuilds, change
16 > quoting style, and run it through ebuild.sh in a loop. All the inherited
17 > eclasses would need to change too, though, I guess.
18 >
19 Yeah, though I won't be doing it, I've kinda lost my enthusiasm; if anyone's
20 learnt something they didn't know before, that's good enough.