From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: grub:2 keywords
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 03:14:40
1 On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Mike Gilbert posted on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:56:25 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>> Since Grub Legacy and Grub 2 are slotted, Portage won't remove the
7 >>> older version. Even if it removes the older one, everything necessary
8 >>> is installed into /boot and the MBR already.
9 >>
10 >> Portage will remove the older slot the next time the user runs emerge
11 >> --depclean unless sys-boot/grub:0 is added to the world file. I'm
12 >> looking for a good way to communicate this to the user.
13 >>
14 >> How about this: For ~arch, we do an ewarn in pkg_postinst if grub:0 is
15 >> installed. For stable, we do a news item.
16 >
17 > Here's a bit of a different idea:
18 >
19 > Changing the bootloader is really a profile level change.  If appropriate
20 > grub2-defaulted new profiles are created, and the old ones set to specify
21 > grub:0 as their default bootloader and then deprecated, this will
22 > automatically both provide the appropriate upgrade preparation required
23 > hint, and allow users to upgrade on their own schedule during the usual
24 > profile deprecation period.
27 Profiles do not set a "default bootloader" so I have no idea what you
28 are talking about.
29
30 Installing grub:2 does not replace grub:0 until the user actually runs
31 grub2-install, so you can already upgrade on your own schedule.