From: "gentoo@××××××××××××.uk" <gentoo@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: dhruba@××××××××××××.uk
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Local/per-package use flags absent from UFED
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:43:28
1 Hello
2
3 Recently, I've found that certain packages are using use flags specific to that package only but absent from ufed. Take ntp for example:
4
5 $ emerge ntp -vp
6 Calculating dependencies ...done!
7 [ebuild N ] net-misc/ntp-4.1.1b-r6 -parse-clocks
8
9 The '-parse-clocks' use flag was not present in ufed. I have several more examples that I cannot remember at this time.
10
11 This causes the following problems.
12
13 * The user is unable to find out the description of the use flag.
14 * The user may overlook flags not present in ufed resulting in incorrect configuration.
15 * If this problem is valid then it points towards a problem with ufed.
16 * Bearing the recent phenomenal explosion in use flags having these extra flags flying around only serves to inflame the problem or information overload.
17
18 - Are these per-package use flags which are distinctly different from local use flags?
19 - If so, is ufed in its current state unable to deal with such flags?
20 - Is ufed due to undergo any further development to take account of ncurses and per package use flags or is it going to remain static?
21
22 I would also like to raise certain fundamental issues about use flags in general but I'll leave that for another thread at another time.
23
24 Many thanks.
25 Dhruba Bandopadhyay.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list