From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for dangerous USE flags
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:23:08
1 The net-analyzer/nrpe package has a ./configure flag:
2
3 --enable-command-args allows clients to specify command arguments. ***
4 THIS IS A SECURITY RISK! *** Read the SECURITY
5 file before using this option!
6
7 Back in nrpe-2.x, it was available via USE=command-args, but I dropped
8 it from nrpe-3.x, and a user just asked about it (bug 628596). There are
9 at least two things we could do with a dangerous flag like that:
10
11 1) require EXTRA_ECONF to enable it.
12 2) hide it behind a masked USE flag.
13
14 Both options require about the same amount of work from the user, namely
15 editing something under /etc/portage. What do y'all think is the best
16 way to proceed? Are there other examples in the tree I could follow?