From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Thread moving to -nfp LIST [Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentooo 501(c) accounting]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 14:08:37
1 On 12/07/2016 04:39 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 04:01:53PM -0500, james wrote:
3 >> Can you cross post to gentoo-dev? I'm not subscribed to that list.
4 >> Should not a wider community, particularly devs be part of the discussion?
5 > Please DO subscribe.
6
7 Nope. I strongly believe that if your wider dev community had a deeper
8 understanding of the responsibility chain, gentoo would not be in such a
9 mess. These juvenile beliefs and behaviors your dev teams routinely
10 display, can be used against the organization, if IRS agents so desire.
11 It'd be a trivial occurrence for the IRS to reclassify gentoo to
12 something other than a charity. Any a. h. can profit by being a snitch
13 to the IRS. If you doubt this, find an old/mean/retired IRS agent to
14 audit gentoo. A CPA will lie to you, legally. Cause when you make
15 mistakes and get audited (can be easily triggered by a pal of the CPA
16 you go to), that just means more 'billable hours' for the CPA. They'll
17 bleed gentoo dry and participate with the IRS in going after companies
18 that have used gentoo for their own gain. When you give to a charity,
19 there is suppose to be a 'hands off' what the charity does with the
20 gift, otherwise it's a corporate tax-dodge in the eyes of the IRS.
21 GSoC is a poster child for this problem.
24 How's that tech relationship with the tech industry and the trump team
25 looking these days? Go read about about what Obama did to the 501(c)
26 charities circa the 2012 election cycle. Pense was the ring leader in
27 working behind close doors to defund the IRS to calm that one sided
28 assault on 501(c) organization down. Read the tea leaves, brah.
32 The results of what you have discovered, desperately needs to be shared
33 with your devs, so they can begin to develop wisdom and culture their
34 attitudes into a recognized charity organization, which is what Gentoo
35 purports to be. My prayers are with you, brother. Furthermore, the real
36 risk is some starving lawyer goes after one of any of the companies that
37 have previously been generous to gentoo first attacking gentoo.
38 It's a dominoes legal strategy and works all the time in the court
39 systems. Ignorance of the law and shoddy records puts gentoo squarely in
40 the "guilty but pleading for judicial mercy" category. The problem is
41 these sorts of lawyers do not need Trump or Pense to do their bidding.
42 They earn lots of money churning up 501(c) and many others.
45 For example some layers have made millions and millions of dollars off
46 of suing all sorts of organizations for failure to comply with laws
47 related to the disability act. Things like designated parking spots and
48 wheelchair ramps. 501(c) and governmental agencies have all been sued as
49 such too. So if a potential dev is OCD, or otherwise has psychological
50 disabilities, what is the gentoo strategy to be charitable to them?
53 Hell, our devs run off folks that are well qualified, due to the clique
54 and the standard dev assimilated trite behaviors. If once they see the
55 power, of the dark side, and first hand witness the devastation the IRS
56 can bring, they'll all understand and become wise; but at a tremendous
57 price. You catching the drift here? I sure hope so.
60 > The long response I just sent is significantly off-topic for the -dev
61 > list. It may be almost on-topic for the -project list, but certainly not
62 > -dev.
63
64 I could not disagree more, but that's your choice.
67 > The council agenda this month includes getting more off-topic stuff out
68 > of -project, so keeping the lists to their intended function should be
69 > done.
70
71 You devs are at the heart of the problem; you need to remove your
72 blinders and learn from what has happened. Repent and turn Gentoo into
73 the wonderful charity it should be. Remove the collective a. h. and
74 their behaviors, asap. Set standard and put violators on probation
75 just like is routine for new devs. Authority alwayhs comes with a price.
76 Think of it this way, Gentoo is under the microscope and these
77 revelations should have a profound effect on the leadership, asap.
78 Failure to be wise in leadership, is not going to work as a defense in a
79 court of law. Let's hope (and pray) it does not come down to that.
82 >> At least a quick link for folk, who are interested can read what is
83 >> discussed via the list? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in
84 >> our goals and management infrastructures.
85 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/ca4fd8c98b9649bb060d48b466927c82
88 A fine work; thanks for your commitments. I've been here 14 years. This
89 is not a problem of anyone's making. It a problem of a lack of
90 leadership which is due to a lack of wisdom. Now you and the Council and
91 the Foundation are in the positions of leadership; so LEAD.
94 A word of advise: Document all of the discrepancies you can, since you
95 are now involved as a fiduciary with gentoo. Do not hide any of them.
96 Publish them and beg all for help. gnucash-user is full of help. FREE
97 help. USE it!
98
99 California has to have at least one retired IRS agent, if not a thousand
100 or more. Find one; learn and seek guidance.
103 Caveat Emptor!
106 > For a slightly older piece, also see the talk I gave about the
107 > Foundation, at this year's Gentoo miniconference:
108 > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLICDJo0onMRJFwAD3V7KGZWgnkxQaELeh
111 hth,
112 James