From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/cryptography to use rust, effectively killing alpha, hppa, ia64, m68k, s390
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 11:28:06
1 El lun, 08-02-2021 a las 12:19 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > FYI the developers of dev-python/cryptography decided that Rust is going
5 > to be mandatory for 1.5+ versions.  It's unlikely that they're going to
6 > provide LTS support or security fixes for the old versions.
7 >
8 > Since cryptography is a very important package in the Python ecosystem,
9 > and it is an indirect dependency of Portage, this means that we will
10 > probably have to entirely drop support for architectures that are not
11 > supported by Rust.
12 >
13 > According to upstream platform support information [1], this probably
14 > means (eventually) entirely removing the following architectures:
15 > - alpha (stable)
16 > - hppa (stable)
17 > - ia64 (stable)
18 > - m68k (exp)
19 > - s390 (except for s390x, exp)
20 >
21 > Furthermore, the Gentoo Rust packages are missing support
22 > for the following platforms, apparently supported upstream:
23 > - mips (exp)
24 > - ppc (32) (stable)
25 > - sparc (stable)
26 > - s390x (exp)
27 > - riscv (stable)
28 >
29 > Apparently it's non-trivial to bootstrap Rust on these platforms,
30 > so it's unclear when Gentoo is going to start providing Rust on them.
31 >
32 > I've raised a protest on the cryptography bug tracker [2] but apparently
33 > upstream considers Rust's 'memory safety' more important than ability to
34 > actually use the package.
35 >
36 > Honestly, I don't think it likely that Rust will gain support for these
37 > platforms.  This involves a lot of work, starting with writing a new
38 > LLVM backend and getting it accepted (getting new code into LLVM is very
39 > hard unless you're doing that on behalf one of the big companies).  You
40 > can imagine how much effort that involves compared to rewriting the new
41 > code from Cryptography into C.
42 >
43 > If we can't convince upstream, I'm afraid we'll either have to drop
44 > these architectures entirely or fork Cryptography.
47 > [1] https://doc.rust-lang.org/nightly/rustc/platform-support.html
48 > [2] https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/issues/5771
51 It will also affect non-SSE2 x86 setups as upstream is neither providing
52 prebuilt package for them :/
53
54 https://bugs.gentoo.org/741708