From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 00:53:22
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Will the ebuild automatically add all the different modules into the
4 > /etc/dracut.conf ?
5 > Please note, I am asking these questions to put my mind at ease and
6 > hopefully
7 > be able to explain all this back to the people on gentoo-user.
10 Honestly, I'd recommend just trying it out. Dracut right now is as usable
11 as any non-initramfs solution out there and you can always add it as an
12 extra non-default option in grub so that it doesn't mess you up if it
13 doesn't work.
14
15 I've found that dracut is pretty auto-magic by default and the config file
16 doesn't generally need tampering. Most of the options are to NOT load
17 modules or to minimize the initramfs size by figuring out what modules are
18 actually needed and only load those (which means if you change hardware
19 between boots it could come up short).
20
21 The modules that are available are controlled by use flags. Actually, I
22 think it is a DRACUT_MODULES variable or something like that (not unlike how
23 X11 handles drivers).
24
25 Rich